Training preparation for therapy dogs
Dog therapy training $85 an hour or 3 sessions for $245
or 6 sessions for $490
SO YOU WANT A THERAPY DOG? Comfort Dog? Need a Emotional Support Dog?
This program is designed to help you assess whether your dog has the potential for therapy work and will offer practical training for upcoming therapy teams to improve and solidify the skills necessary to pass dog therapy evaluations required for organizations such as Therapy Dogs International and Happy Tails. Services included in this program are the AKC Canine Good Citizen Test, a Mock Therapy Evaluation and Therapy Dog training classes.
We have developed a highly effective multiple-session training course for dogs that uses positive reinforcement and patient, reward-based methods. One of the many advantages to this approach is that gentle, loving dogs that may have a temporary problem with manners because they are nervous or excited at first are not summarily excluded from participating in our therapy dog services work.
The curriculum for dog therapy:
- Basic obedience sit, down, stay, walk on a loose lead, no jumping
- Control in stressful environments
- How to teach coping skills for over excitability excessive barking, licking, and wiggliness mouthing, or pawing
- Exercises and desensitization to handling and stimulation
- Socialization exercises with other dogs and people
- Learning how to approach patients and how to position the dog in these situation
- Familiarization with hospital rules and regulations
- Mock training is hospital environments
- Teaching dogs how to work around wheel chairs, walkers and impaired individuals
To schedule your dog’s Canine Good Citizen Test or Mock Therapy Evaluation